SDNA Better Newspaper Contest open for entries
The 2019 SDNA Better Newspapers Contest packet has been mailed to all member newspapers. The packet includes the contest rules and entry information.
The absolute, no-exceptions deadline to enter the contest will be 5 p.m. Central time on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020.
You can find the contest entry website by clicking here.
Contest changes detailed here:
The SDNA Board recently approved several changes for the SDNA Better Newspapers Contest. Here are changes made to the contest:
• The circulation divisions for weeklies are now: under 900, 901-1,300, and over 1,300. The new division for dailies is under/over 7,000 circulation.
• The advertising contest is now all dailies and all weeklies. The news/editorial contest remains at two circulation divisions for dailies and three circulation divisions for weeklies.
• The new contest fee structure is: Each newspaper will be allowed up to five entries for a flat $25 fee. Additional entries are $4.50 each.
• Only one email address per newspaper is allowed for entry on the contest platform. If you are submitting for multiple publications, you will need to use a different email address for each publication. (Best practice: Editor/publisher should create a contest entry username and password and share with staff.)
Among the new categories in the contest:
• Best Special Section/Issue. This category is defined as a section or issue which is dedicated to a special event, occasion, purpose or idea and appears within the pages of the newspaper and is not a stand-alone publication.
• Best Special Publication (magazine, glossy publication, etc.). Publication should be distributed independently of the newspaper, but a publication is not excluded if it is also inserted in the newspaper.
• Best News Story is now two new categories: Best Spot News Story and Best Local Government Story.
• Best Feature Story is now two new categories: Best Feature Story (profile of a person or a group) and Best Feature Story (non-profile story).
• Best Portrait Photo. Limited to photos of an individual that capture the essence of an individual's personality.
• Best Lede. An entry consists of a single story lede written by a reporter or editor.
• Best Business Directory Page. Recognizes the best single spread featuring multiple advertisers under one heading.
• Best 2x4 Ad is now Best 2 Column Ad. Ad must be a stand-alone 2 column of any height for a single advertiser.
This year's contest will culminate with the announcement of awards during the SDNA convention April 23-25 at Deadwood.